Is Invisalign for Me?
Learn about Invisalign from your Gaithersburg dentists.
Have you been considering straightening your teeth with Invisalign but aren't sure if it's a good option for you? Our Gaithersburg, MD, dentists, Dr. Steven Rattner and Dr. Maryam Roosta of Grove Dental Arts, discuss a few things you may want to consider before you make a choice.
Can you benefit from Invisalign?
Invisalign offers an alternative to the traditional wire and bracket method used to straighten teeth for years. The Invisalign system uses a series of clear aligner trays that place gentle pressure on your teeth. This pressure gradually changes the position of your teeth. You'll receive a series of aligner trays and will wear your trays about 20 to 22 hours every day. Invisalign may be a good choice for you if:
- You don't like the appearance of traditional braces: If you don't like the thought of wearing a mouthful of metal for the next several years, you'll appreciate the clear trays used in the Invisalign system.
- You have mild to moderate orthodontic issues: Invisalign is very effective at correcting common types of orthodontic issues, including gaps, crowding, overbites, underbites, crossbites and open bites.
- You want to eat whatever you want: Hard and sticky foods are off-limits when you wear traditional braces because these foods can break wires or get stuck in them. Since you'll remove your aligner trays to eat, there's no need to change your diet.
- You don't want to spend a half-hour brushing and flossing: Brushing and flossing is much more time-consuming when you wear traditional braces. Ensuring that every speck of food is removed from the wires and brackets takes time, but you may increase your risk of cavities if you don't do a good job. Luckily, oral hygiene is quick and easy with Invisalign. You'll simply take out your aligners and brush and floss as usual.
- You want the flexibility to go without your braces occasionally: Braces, no matter what type, can get in the way in some circumstances. If you'll be playing your favorite sport or attending a wedding or other event, you can take your trays out for a few hours.
Are you ready to find out if Invisalign will help you improve your smile? Call Gaithersburg, MD, dentists, Dr. Rattner and Dr. Roosta of Grove Dental Arts, at (301) 987-5527 to schedule an appointment.